The BEST (Boosting Engineering, Science, and Technology) program is a sports-like technology competition that hopes to inspire and motivate students towards studies and careers in engineering, science, and technology. Collin County (CoCo BEST) is one of several hubs throughout the state and nation.
What sets this program apart from others is:
- Students have the experience. Engineers and other coaches are present only to guide, not to design and build.
- Schools participate with no entry fee or kit cost.
- All hub sites use the same kit, game design, schedule, and rules.
A team of students from area schools is assisted by a small group of technology coaches from local industry to design and build a radio-controlled machine to accomplish a defined task. The technology contest is designed to simulate a real-world business and engineering environment including:
- Specifications (weight, size, functionality)
- Time to Market (time to market - 6 weeks)
- Limited Resources (use only the kit of parts provided)